Community Liaison Cell
CLC was established to bridge the communication gap between public and WSSP and to devise a much-needed effective support mechanism which is mandated to facilitate the WSSP field operations. The CLC is mandated to harmonize WSSP field operations by addressing the real needs and demands of consumers and overcome the challenges which WSSP is encountering with the consumers and general public. It was approved by Board of Directors (BODs) of the WSSP in 2018 as a new initiative for engaging communities.
To ensure universal water supply and sanitation coverage in WSSP service areas of Peshawar District through strengthening systems, resources, networks, organizations and institution through active participation.
Promote community empowerment and engagement in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector through building effective, equitable and sustainable partnership between citizens and the WSSP.
Trigger a participatory development approach leading to judicious, equitable and effective service delivery to beneficiary communities in WSSP jurisdictions.
Positive behaviours are inculcated in the beneficiaries through a proactive and effective “Behaviour Change Communication” strategy following a comprehensive process of social mobilization.
Development of a “policy” and “strategy” for extending water and sewerage services to the uncovered population residing in WSSP jurisdiction areas.
Preparation of a comprehensive Socio-Economic Profile of formal & informal settlements.
- Identification of legal/institutional/technical/social barriers to investing in formal & informal settlements and suggest sustainable solutions.
- Enhancement of the voice of citizens of Peshawar in planning and implementation of WSSP processes.
- Establishment of partnerships with stakeholders working in Peshawar in water and sanitation sector for harmony and targeted interventions.
Enhancement of the revenue collection through the effective engagement of elected members and religious clerics for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery by WSSP.
Role and Responsibilities of CLC:
- CLC is tasked with addressing critical issues across four key domains: water conservation and revenue generation, efficient garbage disposal methods, sanitation, particularly the cleaning of drains, and elevating community awareness about hygiene practices. The CLC strives to instigate a participatory development approach that fosters fair, equitable, and effective service delivery within the WSSP’s jurisdiction. This approach hinges on citizens’ recognition of their roles and responsibilities, promoting positive behavioural changes through social mobilization, and actively involving the local community.
- Act as a bridge between the Service provider (WSSP) and Service users (Citizens) to improve coordination.
- Address the existing issues related to the four important domains i-e (Water Conservation/Revenue, garbage disposal mechanism, Sanitation (cleaning of drains) and level of Community understanding on Hygiene);
- Trigger a participatory development approach that leads to judicious, equitable and effective service delivery to beneficiary communities in WSSP jurisdiction.
- Citizen’s realization of their roles and responsibilities
- Positive behaviour changes through social mobilization and active involvement of the local community.
In addition to these fundamental roles, the CLC has been actively engaged in various supplementary activities, tailored to the specific needs of the organizations involved. Some of these additional activities include providing support to increase revenue collection by assisting relevant teams on the ground, aiding in reducing illegal connections by sensitizing communities to register their connections, enhancing the efficiency of the complaints and redressal mechanisms by helping communities with complaints registration, and collaborating with WSSP to prioritize mitigation measures. Furthermore, the CLC plays a crucial role in organizing communities to improve the operational efficiency of WSSP. Followings are the achievement of CLC:
- Established 170 WASH Committees consisting of 1,630 members and reached to 180,000 individuals for WASH awareness.
- Engaged 647 volunteers including 251 male volunteers and 396 female volunteers in awareness.
- Established 5 Model NCs and working on University Town NC to be presented as Model.
- Established 222 WASH Clubs in schools and reached to 78,170 students through Awareness, Quiz and Art competitions.
- Established a network of 250 renowned Religious Scholars who delivered more than 300 Friday Sermons for public sensitization in their respective Mosques.
- Developed 25 scholarly Articles on WASH awareness in the light of the Holy Quran and Authentic Hadith, printed and using as reference and motivational material for public sensitization and behavior change.
- Conducted Commercial Consumer Survey, developed database and shared with management in both hard and soft form.
- Supporting revenue team through committee members, targeted specifically those HH not paying bills.
- Conducted 270 awareness sessions at HHs level with 410 Shop-to-Shop visits during the reporting period.
- Starting Waste segregation initiative. (UC36 B canal town Lalzar NC 101) will be inaugurated on Wednesday
- Resolved more than 50 communal conflicts for supporting WSSP operations
- Encourage public to registered their complaint on 1334.
- Cleared/Eradicated 80 undesignated moqas
- Celebrated WASH annuls days, arranged awareness sessions and special campaign during One Week Sanitation Drive.
- Established WASH working Group and engaged different development partner for supporting WSSP operation that includes:
- UNICEF funded project supporting Community empowerment and capacity building and support WSSP in Water and Sanitation Infrastructure development.
- Islamic Relief Pakistan (IRP) supported WSSP with 03 number of solarization of Tube Wells, 68 numbers of SCADA installation, 30 numbers of Model streets establishment and Updation of WSSP Assets Dashboard.
- PADO (National NGO) provided one Water Leaks Detector, installed one Chlorinator and provided 18 Waste Segregation Bins with planning to establish Integrated Resource Center in Peshawar.
IDEA NGO will be providing 4 water filtration plan, community mobilization in Urban area. They shared draft MOU and requested to provide list of area where water filtration plants can be installed